Monday, March 15, 2010

On being a wimp.

Admittedly, we, here in Cincinnati, have been spoiled the last week with sunny skies and 60+ degree temps. Alas, all good things must end...

I left work on Friday to go meet my mom and niece for a mani/pedi and dinner when the skies opened up and dumped some rain. And hail. Lightning flashed across the sky. It was beautiful!

After a foot scrub, rub, painting and too much Mexican, I was back home and in bed for the big day of racing on Saturday.

Make that the big day of racing in the rain...or the big day of racing that wasn't mean to be.

The 5 miler was easy enough. Anyone can run in the rain. It's the rain and 45 degrees that isn't so fun. It was bearable though. This was a prediction type run, with staggered starts. It's been quite an epic week of training...and I had the intention of riding the 40k TT after, so I adjusted my sights to a 7:15 pace. And then I could barely get any food down that morning. I still felt steak fajita in my belly.

I warmed up for a few miles, changed into tri storts so I wouldn't be distracted with my running shorts riding up with the rain and all...and put on my Zoot racers and I was off!

I started out really relaxed. And hit the mile marker at 6:39. Hmm...I'm not exactly on that 7:15 pace...Oh well...mile 2, I see 13:something. Mile 3, 20:23. I slowed down a bit then to talk to a fellow runner who was attempting to explain the rules of this fun run (yeah, i'm not the greatest listener...). And then I see my buddy...who was suppose to join for the race, but apparently overslept. I shout "You're late!!!" as he's running toward me and as he asks what kind of pace we're running, to which I responded "6:40s" (I'm also not great at math when running.) He starts laughing... And then checking his Garmin to get us to that 6:40 pace. It hurt. And as he was telling me to "push it" that last mile, all I could retort was "easy for you to say". He'd only run like 1.25 miles at that pace.

And before I knew it, it was over. 34:02. 6:48 pace. Not bad. Especially after the week of training that'd been had.

We (my two teammates and I) made an executive decision to bag the TT due to the wet road conditions (it'd been raining for about 15 hours at that point). So, I went home to enjoy the trainer. An hour spinning and an hour with Coach Troy and Spinervals 2.0 Time Trial.

I think I fell asleep on the couch after some food and a shower.

I awoke and hit the grocery. And ended the evening with some Rainbow Sherbet. I'd forgotten what a delicious (sugary) treat it is!

And up early to head to Dayton for a long ride with the race team more rain. The worst of it being north of us. So, I got it in my head that I'd make it a long ass trainer day. Like a 5-6 hour trainer ride day. Hour one was spinning, getting the legs loose. Hour two included a min of stomps every five. Hour three, we transitioned from TV to iPod. And into aero for some longer sets. At the end of hour three, I made my way to the kitchen for a bagel slathered in pb and honey and a banana, water refills and then a potty break. I was back in the saddle in less than 10 mins. Hours four and five included some tempo work and more stomps (to keep from going totally numb...and totally bored)...and some texting and FB checking (having the internet at my fingertips is amazing!)

After five hours, my wooha just couldn't take any more. And I'd soaked through a hand towel. Not to mention my sports bra. And I was smelling pretty ripe. Ok, very ripe.

Food and one of the best showers ever and I (again) fell asleep on the couch. This time, at 7:30. Which, pre-time change was only 6:30. Lame. And I felt like I was dragging a piano in the pool this morning. But my times were on, so whatever.

I had this epiphany this morning as I was listening to the radio this morning on my way home from the gym. They said Cincinnati has been voted the "Craziest city". No wonder I can't see to escape.


Tawnee said...

Uh, I don't see any sort of wimpiness here. You're legit and smart for not doing a TT on wet roads.

Christi said...

OMG, you did 5 hrs on the trainer. That is amazing! You go girl!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Ok, its official, your more of a trainer freak then me, 5 hours, I cant do that. It flippin rain up here too, I was going to do 40, but my sorry a$$ triclub cancelled and I ended wwatching pelman123 on the trainer

Carolina John said...

that is quite the fast pace for a 5 mile race. well done.

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Woohoo for your awesome running race!

And, I CANNOT believe you rode on the trainer for 5 hours! That is just insane! After an hour on the trainer I'm dying of boredom. I cannot imagine going for 5. That's pretty amazing!

Missy said...

5-6 hour trainer ride makes me want to cry just thinking about it. That might be the most boring thing evah!

D10 said...

Not a wimp at all! You had solid training. I think you are a machine to be on the trainer for 5 hours.

The Sean said...

Sounds like a big weekend to me. You should see a big training response to a block like this.

NJ said...

Wimp? I doubt you qualify as a wimp with that kind of race and training. Your body needed the sleep after that level of training. You deserved it!

Colleen said...

I honestly don't know how you did 5 hours on the trainer. You ARE a rockstar aren't you?!?! Great job on the race too! :)