Thursday, May 6, 2010

more pig pics and getting back at it

The week after a recovery week is always fun. I went to masters on Tuesday morning and made some sets I've never been able before and set a new time in the 200 (2:33). And then Tuesday night, I debated the "race pace" group...but after a little cajoling, I joined. And it turned out, it was just what I needed to spark some life back into my gams.

Yesterday was one of those crazy days where I get up early for....work (gasp!) It was painful. I had a 90 min run on the schedule. And by the time I left work, I was a wreck! Things were just not going my way. People were being rude, my head was messing with me, I was full of indecision and pessimism. I even got called out on my cranky pants attitude. I mean, I was verbally dreading the run due to the 85 degree temps!

But, as I've experienced so many times before, once I get out on the road, with some time alone with my thoughts, maybe some good tunes, the sun overhead and the breeze blowing, my piss poor mood just melts away. And in drifts a softer, more pleasant, appreciative and clear thinking Amanda.

And on that note, I leave you with some photos from the half marathon over the weekend.
I think it had actually stopped raining in this photo. That or the photog's exposure is up.
This one is about a half mile from the finish. I'd had my sights set on her back for a few miles and I finally felt comfortable taking a surge and being able to hold it.
And this one is crossing the finish line. Note the large costumed Pig on the right. The spectators and volunteers were awesome on a very soggy day.
I ended up placing 16th female of 5941 and negative splitting, which was the goal. It was my first half (outside of a 70.3) and I wanted to remain calm for the first 8 miles, as the hills are pretty atrocious. The last four miles are pretty much downhill, so I took the opportunity to pour on some speed for those.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

I always feel better once I'm out there running. It's getting out there that is sometimes the struggle! I'm glad you were able to have a good run!

Nice pics! And, congrats again for an awesome race! :)

Christi said...

Great job on your finish! The pix are great!

Kim said...

dude, look at your abs. im just saying.

Sean in NY said...

Those are some damn good results, especially considering it was your first independent half-marathon!

Swimming is the only area where, instead of feeling better, I feel worse (during) if I start out with a bad attitude. Running or cycling are totally decompressing though.

How do you like those Zoot shoes, btw? I've got a pair of OLD nike frees that i love but have had my eye on trying something new.

Andy said...

Nice job Amanda! Gotta love that soggy start.

Anonymous said...

bang up job Amanda....with the half mary AND working thru the cranky pants bit...happy friday..

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Its amazing how that works out, start cranky, end feeling peaceful and good.

zencycle said...

'lil miss cranky pants...(snicker)

Sumthin tells me that's gonna stick.