Thursday, December 3, 2009

This, right here, epitomizes how I feel when I run

Well, at least those two pictures in which I have a shit-eatin' grin.

And that's precisely why I opted to bail on swim practice, yet again, this morning and go for a run. I woke up at normal swim practice time...4:30!! and walked the pup. It felt amazingly warm out. But I called the weather line (241-1010 for all you Cincinnatians who aren't aware of it - gives you current temp and forecast) to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. 43 degrees. and dropping into the 20s tonight.

Yup!! time to take advantage of the warm(er) weather and run!

I was out the door by 5:20. I tried to keep a nice slow pace, but it's difficult to gage in the dark. I just moved my feet. And headed up the long hill to Ft. Thomas. There was a smell in the air that reminded me of long runs prepping for GFT. Must've been the rain from the evening before.

I wound through the streets I know so well from having lived up in that area for two years. It was strange to be a visitor. I passed the Y where I first started swimming. I thought about the guy that I swam next to every morning. I wondered if he'd gotten any faster. Back then, I though 1500 was a long swim. And it took me at least 30 minutes...

I passed the old park where I would stop and swing, and the track behind the Domicilary where I do track work in the summer. I cruised by my high school coach's street. There were signs in the yards all over town encouraging Highlands to win state.

I thought about that 50 mile run I want to do. I thought about the 10 mile trail run this weekend. I thought about what I'd eat for breakfast and the people who've influenced my life over the last few years. I thought about riding my bike and how much I don't want to get on the trainer and going to a show on Saturday night. And pancakes and peanut butter. And Clubber and how she was probably sleeping in my covers waiting for me to return. I thought about what to get people for Christmas. And I wondered how mom's new live-in situation is working. I thought about hot coffee and how it seemed to be getting colder the longer I ran. And I thought about how I'd run further if I didn't have to go to work.

After an hour an ten minutes, I headed back toward home. It was still dark. I was glad I didn't bring my camera along because my keys and the sloshing water bottle, which had become significantly lighter, were plenty to carry.

A little less than two hours and about 14 miles after I began, I was stretching on my front porch, chilled, as  the sun began to light the sky. The perfect beginning to my day...


Judi said...

sounds glorious.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

You mean 30 min for 1500 isnt fast.... sighhhhh

Now i want pb and pancakes, though i never had that combination