Tuesday, January 26, 2010

train, eat, sleep...and the ability to do it at all

That's pretty much what the weekend entailed. A long ride with the boys, a swim with a buddy, and a long, brutal, two hour run, for which I was entirely unprepared, mentally. In between those sessions, I ate, slept, and watched old episodes of Lost (because I have two more seasons to try and review before the premier February 2nd).

I actually completed every workout on the training plan coach set out for me this past week. I actually did some extra. Masters practices are ALWAYS more than he'd prescribe. And we rode almost 4 hours when only 2.5 was what was on the agenda...

And, yes, I'm tired. And my legs are feeling a little heavy. And there was no real pep in my step for the last couple days.

But one things is for sure...I'm really, really glad I get to do any of it at all.

I know there are days when the body (and mind) need a break from swim-bike-run. And I know it's not good to always push through when I'm feeling exhausted...but I also know the flip side. I know wanting to be able to do it all and not having that ability. I know just wanting the mental and physical release you get from a run and being too sick to go out and do it. I know watching my friends race and just sitting on the sidelines. And it sucks. So, I try my best not to whine and complain about fatigue and tired muscles. Because I'd take that over the heartache of not being able to do it anyday.

There were a few little whines...or maybe we should call them "moans" this morning at swim practice, but all in all, it was a nice base building workout (36x25, first round with fins, second round just swim). Tonight is another brick. And I'm going to push through it because I know what awaits in just a few days...

REST!

And recovery.

And a visit from Boulder :)

5 comments:

Mike Russell said...

Sounds like a great couple of days that you have lined up. I am impressed you are able to push so hard!

Missy said...

OH, a visit from Boulder, you say! Enjoy your time and don't be busy blogging...have a blast.

GetBackJoJo said...

What are you training for now? (if anything... )

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I need a rest from reading all that. I hope you enjoy a little r&r

Anonymous said...

Nice job nailing down all the workouts. Sometimes when things are moving you just have to go with them. Enjoy your rest days!