Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Plans

Ok, admittedly, I HATE planning! Mostly because, from my experience, nothing really ever goes the way it's planned. I've learned that I am better off having a "soft" plan and rolling with the punches rather than having a hard, definite plan and getting bent out of shape when things don't go as I expected.
 
That said, the race plan for this year is still kinda up in the air. I may or may not do Great Floridian. I have every intention of doing TTT, Leadville Silver Rush 50 Trail Run and Long Course AG Nationals.
 
I did just registered for the Cabin Fever ROGAINE. It's a 6 hour foot race. It's my first of this kind, but I'm looking forward to it. I just hope it isn't like 5 degrees outside that day.
 
Following the swim yesterday, I hung with mom and my niece, which is always fun and before I knew it, I was lying in bed reading. And then dragging myself out of bed to get to the pool again.
 
And this morning's swim was, um...fun?
It started out just fine.
A warm-up and then lots of 50s - 22 of them. 
Then came the monster main set: 5x500.
I tried to weasle my way over to the next lane that was doing a shorter version. Not so much. Coach Aaron made me stay.
The worst part wasn't just the length.
It was that they were on 1:30 pace. Which isn't hard when you're doing a 100. Or even one 500. or two? But five? Five 500s?!?
Ugh. My lats were definitely feeling that work.
 
Tonight is a quick brick. The ride will be inside. Those weather guys don't know what they're talking about. After yesterday disappointed and never reached the above freezing mark after a predicted high of 46, they changed the forecast for the entire rest of the week! Still grey and dreary. And cold. I'm glad I didn't bank on riding outside this week.
 
Like I said before, I try not to have plans so it's easier to adjust when the unexpected happens...like this craptastic weather.

7 comments:

Mike Russell said...

That is a crazy swim set. I think my rotator cuffs would fall off about half way through that main set! Great work to stay put, even if your coach made you. :)

Anonymous said...

Cabin Fever sounds pretty cool! I am sure it is going to be fun. Can't wait to hear about it. Hope you were able to get in a nice brick. Killer swim set. Way to push through.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Right now, I need plans, thankfully I have a coach that knows me well enough to make it work for me.

That swim workout looks killer, I am saving that one for later.

Anonymous said...

I'm there witcha....I definitely play musical charis with my weekly sessions - if I have to. What i AM finding. Gotta roll with tha punches!

Jen Feeny said...

I am officially a follower as well as in awe. You are a rockstar girl! Thanks for stopping by my digs! I hope you don't mind but I may be hitting you up for advice further down the road when I start Tri training after my marathon! :)

Missy said...

I'm such a planner....maybe I need to take a lesson from you. I'm bad, real bad. Told coach that he better put sex on my training plan or it ain't gonna happen. Hubs was happy;)

Unknown said...

You have to read Born To Run before you do Leadville; a good chunk of the book is devoted to the history of that race.