Thursday, January 7, 2010

New year, new thoughts, new things to discover



I spent New Year's Eve, New Year's Day and several subsequent days in Boulder with the Team USA bike mechanic I'm so fond of...

I got to take Daisy (his dog) for a long run on snow packed trails before resurrecting a tent on the deck, blowing up 30 balloons, stringing lights on stairwells, concocting a playlist and cleaning boy bathroom (which I already warned will likely NEVER happen again...there's just something about wet hair that makes me gag and gives me chills. Seriously) for the NYE party he (we) hosted.

I talked with his friends, met mom, introduced to new people, ate, drank, and went to bed very, very late. Or early, depending on the perspective.

The next days consisted of sun and snow and more runs and snowshoeing (first time ever for me) and me proving that I am, in fact, a head case (ok, not first time ever for me).

And now, I'm back in Cincinnati, where the entire city is in panic and has basically shut down because we're supposed to get 3 - 5 inches of snow today. It makes me laugh after coming from a few feet of snow in the mountains and the place is thriving.

It's been nice to get back into the swing of things this week, most noteably, Masters practice this morning... main set? 10x250. And getting back on my bike. After 2.5 weeks of virtually nothing but running (due to travel to IL and CO and lack of pool and/or bike), I'm so so ready for some time away from it. But only for a few days...

This weekend there are two races. On Saturday, an 8 mile trail run and then, on sunday, what might be the stupidest idea yet - the Splash 'n' Dash - a 1000m indoor TT swim followed by an OUTDOOR 5k run. Seriously, what about our wet bits getting frost bit??? Ouch!

I don't so resolutions, but I do have some goals for the myself. And I'm not one who likes to announce them all, but one of them is to just not take myself so seriously. It's too painful. And I think we were put here to enjoy this life.

10 comments:

Kim said...

how cute are you guys?! :)

i cannot imagine swimming and then running outside. that's just plain wrong.

Mike Russell said...

Dang that will be frigid! I would don two beanies just to make sure my wet hair stayed warm. Seriously, thrown on something with wool in it...

Ron said...

You know what, I heard that not too serious thing in your post. Sounds happy and free. Very good post.

RockStarTri said...

"I think we were put here to enjoy this life." That's what its all about (either that or the Hokey Pokey). I'm going with "enjoy life" for now but may throw a left hand in if there is doubt. good post.

zencycle said...

Oye Vey...

She's your adolescent dream,
Schoolboy stuff, a sticky sweet romance.

Anonymous said...

i think not taking yourself too seriously is a key to happiness in life. You are completely right, you have to enjoy it!! Cute picture.

Judi said...

wtf did zen leave? LOL.

glad you are home. talk soon. missed ya.

Carolina John said...

dang rockstar. 10x250 main set in the pool? holy crap. rock on.

JBM said...

good call dating a bike mechanic

Wendy Jarvis said...

Great readding your blog post