Monday, January 18, 2010

I have a dirty bike.

Yes, that's right. It's dirty. Because i got to ride outside on Saturday!!! Itwas about 45 degrees and a little cloudy, but it was outside. On real hills. With some training buddy friends. And it was amazing!

I've already lost some comfort riding downhill. That was partly due to knowingly having a bald back tire (thank you trainer! and yes, I realize I could have swapped it out or taken my tri bike, but...well, I didn't) and wet roads. Plus, I didn't know the area. Or what lie at the bottom of those hills. It was fun al the while.

And that ride was followed up with an easy 30 min run. And by easy, I mean keeping the HR low. Not necessarily slow. I think we avg a 7:50 pace. But the legs felt like they were moving kinda slow. My feet were like ice blocks until, of course, the very last 1/4 mile.

I went home and plowed some veggies and chicken to prep for the long run the next morning.

Again, warm-ish. 40 degrees. Good enough for shorts! And three more training buddies to run with. I met some new people too! (hi Corky!) It was dreary, but the rain held off until the end of the run. We finished with 13 miles, about 3 of those toward the end were upbeat. I got an extra mile with the run to and from my apartment to the meeting spot.

I rested and refueled and hit up Pilates in the afternoon. I love this life. I love training. I love the weekends.

I also love resting/recovering. That's what today is designed for. It's now Monday morning, MLK Day. No work. And I was up at 5am, naturally. I've already done the dishes, cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed, mopped the kitchen floor and had breakfast. I'm swimming at noon. Today is a recovery day, so that means getting chores done! Next, laundry. Then making meals for the week...

8 comments:

Corky said...

Hey Rockstar ! Nice to meet ya !

RockStarTri said...

I slept in today too but broke out the fat tire bike and hit the muddy trails over the weekend to celebrate the temp breaking 30.

I'm planning on swimming today too but the only other things I have planned, in contrast to your full day which is scaring me, is to clean the mud off the bike and maybe take a nap.

Great weekend.

Emily said...

I am SO jealous you got to ride outside! Totally worth a dirty bike and slightly frightening downhills. Enjoy the day of recovery and productivity!

Red Bike said...

For a minute there I thought you were a UK resident. But then I read the 40deg C bit.

We've all been stuck in on our turbos due to minus tempertures (colder than the south pole in some regions) and loads of snow which we're rubbish at dealing with.

On Sunday I finally got out on the bike for it's first proper ride of the year.

Tawnee Prazak, M.S., CSCS said...

Ditto on all the love stuff.

Mike Russell said...

Dang it Amanda. That is what a weekend of training looks like. You are hard core!

Aimee said...

Wow..what a training weekend..that's awesome! It must have been so nice to ride outside! I was actually in the 50's here in CO, but instead of riding my bike outside I decided to run instead and it was so nice not to be on the dreadmill! Sigh...I can't wait till Spring!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I love reading about your training, between you and another blogger, I get tired just reading about the training.