Saturday, May 30, 2009

We're not in Wonderland Anymore

Friday evening, I went to dinner with dad. We discussed life over the two-man band entertainment and my plateful of fries. I was debating whether to join Coach and the boys for an early morning swim and ride at Caesar Creek or go for a ride and run with Judi. Several variables were at play and i was having a hard time deciding. Then he posed it to me: "Well, what do you want to do?"

So, I awoke, packed my car and Clubber and headed home so I could meet Judi for our 10am bike. Ryan joined us as well. I arrived early. I pumped my tires. I lubed my chain. I listened to music. I was nervous. She had 50 miles planned and I hadn't been on my bike but once since I'd gotten sick...

Ryan rode into the garage. And Judi pulled in. Soon, we were headed down Rte 8. I was cautious at first, afraid I'd go too fast to start and not be able to hang on. At the 90 min turn, we'd ridden over 27 miles...at 18 mph. We hopped off our bikes and peed in the weeds, ate, drank, and headed back toward home.




The weather was beautiful, a little cloud cover which provided protection from being burned. The air was cool. The headwind wasn't too bad. Back to the garage. 55 miles. 18.4 mph average. And off for a 30 min run. Nice and easy. Across the river, through the park and back.


Thank God for Judi. I needed that ride. And that run. For so many reasons.

For a few hours, I was able to forget about the last few weeks. I didn't think about being sick and weak. I didn't think about the drama. I didn't think about the pain. I thought about spinning my wheels. And the hunger pangs in my tummy and making sure i hydrate and trying to find the source of Judi's back pain, and getting up the hills and power the downhills and cutting the wind and taking pictures and laughing with friends and chatting and what I might eat for lunch.

And I gained some confidence back. A good pace for a good amount of time. I didn't lose everything I'd worked so hard for. I still have it. It's just shrouded in fear. That girl I was is still there inside. And slowly but surely, she's peeling back these layers. And she's working ehr way back to the surface.

4 comments:

Judi said...

YAY!!! it was such a good day. let's do it again soon girlie.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're healing, inside and out. Time is your friend . . .

Kim said...

so glad that a great ride/run with a friend is helping you heal. :)

Mary Sunshine said...

You ARE a Rockstar. Never forget that.