Friday, June 26, 2009

Bad drivers and good deliveries

Ok, so I've had my fair share (or more) of accidents. I am not a very good driver...
BUT I'VE NEVER HIT A CYCLIST!!!

I was on my way back into town on my two-hour ride last night, cruising along in aero at about 20mph. I was thinking about how now that all these doctor bills are beginning to pour in, I need to send him a text and let him know that he needs to start paying me back for my half of the deposit on the summer place...even if it's just $50 a week.

Anyway, I was out on 52, just before New Richmond, heading back towards downtown…probably 15 miles out. Dude was in the opposing lane, getting ready to turn left into the gas station on my right. I see him try and judge whether he can make it before I get there. I was about 30 ft away and growing ever closer, when HE DECIDED TO GO FOR IT!!!

I saw it all going down and in my head, I already saw myself splayed on the road with internal injuries and a busted skull. I rocket launched outta aero and gripped the brakes so hard I was skidding all over. Luckily, he realized his misjudgement hit his brakes too. We collided right at the entrance to the Marathon station. His grill just hit my left leg and hand. It knocked me out of my cleats and I somehow caught myself before I went flying on the road. I was yelling profanities and going nuts and he didn’t apologize or anything…just pulled into the gas station and parked...

Just then, two young kids pile out of the back seat. He had yet to emerge from the SUV. He may very well have been coming over to say something to me, but what was going to occur? I wasn’t hurt and neither was the bike and I knew I was so pissed that nothing nice was going to come out of my mouth, so I figured it was better to just ride off. I did yell at the kids to not take driving lessons from their father.

I was shaken, but fortunately, not harmed. And neither was my bike!

I rode the remainder of the way home and went out for a 20 minute T-run. Felt great.

After sleeping in my compression tights, I got up for an hour run with pick-ups and a huge amount of gratitude that it's Friday. I make my way into work and arrive to a flood on my desk. Apparently, our roof has a leak...right over my desk. And we had major storms last night. I tried the old "well, looks like I can't work...guess I should just go home" trick, but it didn't work. Facilities maintenance came and cleaned it all up and some dumbass had actually covered my computer and monitor with plastic!

I finally got logged in and see that I have a note from the secretary. I have a package!!!

My new Zoot running shoes, LG tri suit, Speedo, a bike jersey and nutrition arrived. Yay for new gear!! Can't wait to try it all out...the tri suit may get a run through at the Caesar Creek Oly next weekend.

Have a great weekend all!

9 comments:

Anniversary Moments said...

Wow - glad you are okay! And way to control yourself, i would have waited for him to get out of the car to see how he was going to "explain" himself.

Anonymous said...

Glad you came out OK. Been on the receiving end of the car vs. bike too many times. When you were describing it I was kind of hoping it would end with your visceral response overcoming any good sense and you beating him over the head reapeatedly with you frame pump.

RR said...

You are way more controlled than I. I would have definitely yelled words inappropriate for kids to hear. Glad you are ok.

Judi said...

what rr said.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I'm glad you're okay, Amanda!

Maggs said...

Glad you are okay. I've had close calls with cars before. Scary.

Anonymous said...

I don't get why people are always in such a rush. The guy have just waited. So glad you are ok.

Have fun with your new gear.

Skye said...

Isn't it weird how sometimes you see a driver coming and you just KNOW that they're going to turn right into your path? Same thing happened to me the other day, but I had the feeling he was going to do it and already had my hands on the brakes. I stopped just in time, yelling at him, but he was oblivious.

Glad you're ok, hope not too shaken up. New gear always cheers me up too!

GetBackJoJo said...

I think non-bikers constantly underestimate how fast bikers can be, which is why they try for the turn. It's as if their estimation is of a kid on a mountain bike as opposed to a rider on a road bike... I feel like what happened to you constantly happens to me--only I have never been actually hit. In fact, it just happened to me yesterday. I had to slam on the brakes, unclip and almost went over the bars. The car slammed on the brakes did too and we both just sat there-stopped--both freaking out I think-about how close it was. This driver waved me on, though and mouthed sorry. Sometimes they're not assholes--but just totally oblivious.